Skip to main content

County Care Independent Living Celebrates its 10th Birthday

Staff member and service user wearing ppe masks, with support worker signing the number 10 with fingers over service users head.


County Care Independent Living has turned 10 and despite celebrations being cancelled they still celebrated, lockdown style!

County Care, who have offices in Lincolnshire and Surrey provide support for many individuals with learning disabilities, autism and mental health, so have been thinking of ways they could celebrate their upcoming birthday over the past year.

Their birthday, which was on Friday 21s t August was due to be honoured in true County Care style with celebrations throughout the month in all their offices and community and even a whisper of a party was heard. So when the government announced lockdown, their plans were sent into disarray. Lockdown has been particular hard for outreach support agencies.

Director of Care, Alex Noakes, has been at the forefront of the team during Covid, trying to keep the balance of staff safety whilst continuing to support the clients. Alex said “The outbreak of Covid brought with it the biggest challenge I have had to face as a registered manager to date. Thankfully our hardworking team and collaborative approach which are core values we pride ourselves on meant we were able to continue providing the high level of care to our service users.

County Care would not see a birthday go by without marking the occasion though and especially one as big as their 10th. Working with both service users and support workers, individuals sent in photos of themselves in various locations signing the number 10 which was then put into a collage.  

Alex went on to say “It’s fantastic that County Care are celebrating their 10th birthday and I’m delighted to have had the pleasure of sharing 7 years of that time. Here’s looking forward to the next 10 years

So whilst the festivities might not have been what they wanted or expected, they continue to put smiles on everyone’s faces and at the end of the day that is all you can ask for.

So across the country people are raising glasses to say ‘Happy 10th Birthday’ to County Care.


Written By: Victoria-Jayne Scholes 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Diabetes Day - From Nurse to Superhero

  Every year on the 14 th November the world turns blue in support of the millions of diabetics worldwide. This year is no different. Right now millions of superheroes get ready to don their capes from carers, to parents, to diabetic teams to friends and family and most importantly diabetics themselves. This year the theme is the ‘Nurse and Diabetes’ which celebrates the truly wonderful work millions of nurses do in support of individuals with diabetes, but I ask you this ‘What defines the definition of a nurse?’. I ask you to look at the cover photo of this story and study it for a few moments. As you do ask yourself these questions, what do these ladies have in common? Is one more qualified than the others? Ready to move on…   T o answer your question what these ladies all have in common is they all care for someone with Type One diabetes. First the Support worker who for the last two years has cared for me, a type 1 diabetic of 27 years. Every visit she reminds me to check

Why Are Disabled Individuals Still Being Discriminated against in the Legal Profession?

Legally Powered at the Supreme Court When choosing a career in law I didn’t even think about my disability being an issue. However, it was something my close family and friends often questioned. I would quickly silence them with ‘it’s the legal profession, there is not going to be a problem’. How I was wrong! I started my journey by trying to decide if I wanted to be a barrister or solicitor, so I started my research into different firms and chambers and armed with my top choices for chambers, off I went to a pupillage fair. My first stop was my top choice which here will remain nameless. There I was sat in my chair. The gentleman seemed kind enough, humoured me with the ins and outs of the workings of the chamber, drew me in. This was it! I liked this chamber! I liked this man! I think they are my top choice to apply to! Then came the killer: “the only issue we have is we are a listed building so have no access as we are on the first floor, so with you being in a wheelchair I don’t

Bar Standards Board ‘Failing’ Disabled Students

Students sitting this year’s bar exams are alleging they are being discriminated against as reasonable adjustments and basic rights are not being met.  Due to the Covid pandemic, the exams for aspiring barristers, which were due to be sat in April, are now due to be held throughout August. This leaves many with concerns who are due to start pupillage in September. Many students are sitting their exams at home via ‘remote proctoring’.  This means sitting in front of a computer for three hours, sometimes more, at a time without moving. Moving away from the situated camera would render the exam a failure.  Students who have already sat their at home exams are already complaining that they had an hours wait before the exam commenced. For those who would be unable to sit their exam at home for various reasons, they will need to sit their exams at a test centre or defer until December. This means some students would be unable to commence pupillages or employment as planned. Visas have also s