Skip to main content

Slater & Gordon Redefines Diversity

By Victoria-Jayne Scholes

Slater and Gordon are redefining diversity by allowing its staff to work from home. It trialled the initiative during Covid-19 and was so successfull its CPO Alicia Alinia has put measures in place to keep remote working going beyond the pandemic.
Remote Working


Alicia Alina (40) is the Chief People Officer for leading law firm Slater & Gordon. Although she has only been in her position for ten months she has certainly made her mark.

One of her visions, initiatives and big changes for the business is remote working. Escalated by Covid-19, this is something that she has advised will continue long after the pandemic.

Alicia’s vision has been backed by a very forward thinking board who allows her to express her ideas and run with them. The trial of remote working has been immensely successful and in a recent engagement survey with staff most of them asked for remote working to be made permanent. On listening to their staff this is what they have done.

One area this will help with is diversity, especially disability. Alicia informed me “There is no sense of inequality and it treats everyone the same. It allows them to make decisions that is right for them”.

Come September when the lease ends on their London offices they will not be renewing. Instead they will focus their energy on looking for a more dynamic space for their employees.

With less individuals in the office on a day to day basis, it will allow the organisation to have a more diverse friendly environment, one where there is a purpose for going to the office.

Once there the cubicles will allow for individuals with diverse needs to have the correct equipment they really need. Alicia advised they are going for more of a 'google office' environment and it will allow individuals to be treated as adults. Managers will set employees daily KPIs and as long as these are met, the company are happy for them to continue to set their hours and work from home.

On asking Alicia if the recent articles surrounding the sale of their Manchester office is also true she informed me “it was pretty inaccurate”. She went on to advise that they have put two floors up for lease of their seven story building. However over time they will be reviewing all of their office spaces. Meaning that the opportunities for remote working to open up across the UK and for the company to expand their diversity even more, is not out of sight.

Individuals with disabilities use the Open University for further education as it allows them to study around their disability. On interviewing Alicia the feeling of her support of Open University students really shone through. She advised she felt OU students possessed the ability to work on initiative and ones own merit. We discussed how employees these days are looking for different skill sets not just knowledge and this must be taught at uni to set students up for a more realistic future.

Slater and Gordon Redefining Diveristy

It seems the S & G employees have been having some remote fun as well with live events such as S & G’s got talent. Some of their social events have attracted over 1000 staff, showing that their singing can’t be that bad!

Alicia went on to recommend that other companies should learn from this current pandemic that has forced diversity in a profession which is still struggling with the idea.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bar Standards Board ‘Failing’ Disabled Students

Students sitting this year’s bar exams are alleging they are being discriminated against as reasonable adjustments and basic rights are not being met.  Due to the Covid pandemic, the exams for aspiring barristers, which were due to be sat in April, are now due to be held throughout August. This leaves many with concerns who are due to start pupillage in September. Many students are sitting their exams at home via ‘remote proctoring’.  This means sitting in front of a computer for three hours, sometimes more, at a time without moving. Moving away from the situated camera would render the exam a failure.  Students who have already sat their at home exams are already complaining that they had an hours wait before the exam commenced. For those who would be unable to sit their exam at home for various reasons, they will need to sit their exams at a test centre or defer until December. This means some students would be unable to commence pupillages or employment as planned. Visas have also s

Why Are Disabled Individuals Still Being Discriminated against in the Legal Profession?

Legally Powered at the Supreme Court When choosing a career in law I didn’t even think about my disability being an issue. However, it was something my close family and friends often questioned. I would quickly silence them with ‘it’s the legal profession, there is not going to be a problem’. How I was wrong! I started my journey by trying to decide if I wanted to be a barrister or solicitor, so I started my research into different firms and chambers and armed with my top choices for chambers, off I went to a pupillage fair. My first stop was my top choice which here will remain nameless. There I was sat in my chair. The gentleman seemed kind enough, humoured me with the ins and outs of the workings of the chamber, drew me in. This was it! I liked this chamber! I liked this man! I think they are my top choice to apply to! Then came the killer: “the only issue we have is we are a listed building so have no access as we are on the first floor, so with you being in a wheelchair I don’t

Wheelchair Users Guide to Visiting the Supreme Court

  Being a law student and never having been to the Supreme Court, it was something at the top of my ‘to do’ list. Now for any wheelchair user the first step is preparation so I rang up the enquiries line at the Supreme Court to make sure I could gain access first and to see what I could and couldn’t take in.   Upon phoning, I was greeted by a lovely cheery lady on the other end of the phone who could not have been more helpful and advised that gaining access was not a problem. Step one, tick Some court buildings, especially when court is in session, do not allow phones or food to be taken in. Luckily, the Supreme Court do allow these things, within guides of course!   Step two, tick So planning the day precisely, packing everything but the kitchen sink into my bag, booking my support worker for a very long day and booking the taxi to get me there, I set off on my journey. Step three, tick. Preparation is key! Now the next bit of information, whilst is slightly embarrassing an