Skip to main content

World Diabetes Day - From Nurse to Superhero


 

Every year on the 14th November the world turns blue in support of the millions of diabetics worldwide. This year is no different. Right now millions of superheroes get ready to don their capes from carers, to parents, to diabetic teams to friends and family and most importantly diabetics themselves.

This year the theme is the ‘Nurse and Diabetes’ which celebrates the truly wonderful work millions of nurses do in support of individuals with diabetes, but I ask you this ‘What defines the definition of a nurse?’.

I ask you to look at the cover photo of this story and study it for a few moments. As you do ask yourself these questions, what do these ladies have in common? Is one more qualified than the others?


Ready to move on… 

To answer your question what these ladies all have in common is they all care for someone with Type One diabetes.

First the Support worker who for the last two years has cared for me, a type 1 diabetic of 27 years. Every visit she reminds me to check my bloods hourly sometimes more if needed, assists getting me sugar if my blood is low, running to grab my insulin from the fridge when I run out and being my support when my diabetes just gets too much for me at times.

Next the healthcare assistant that goes from door to door giving diabetics their insulin injections. Checking that their blood sugars are stable, making sure their HBA1C is in range. Checking on their wellbeing and being there for them when they can’t get to see anyone.

Finally my mum who for 27 years, has cared for me and my diabetes, has had endless sleepless nights checking my blood sugar, making sure they don’t dip too low and I slip into a coma, sitting at my bedside in intensive care as my diabetes spirals too high out of control as my body cannot fight off another infection.

Only one of these ladies is qualified, but does that make the other two less capable? In my eyes they are all nurses as they all look after me in their own unique way.

JDRF Theme

Whilst the national theme for every diabetic association is Diabetes and the Nurse, JDRF has its own campaign it runs every year called #type1superheros and recognises the fact that having diabetes is a big deal and at times we need our own superheroes around us in the disguises of friends and family, teachers and pupils and work colleagues and healthcare assistants.

The ladies in the picture above may not be qualified nurses but they are all superheroes.

How you can help!

World Diabetes Day is celebrated on the 14th November, I am asking you to please spread the word. Please click on the link below where nearer the time you will be able to download posters and add a social media filter. Please get your superheroes outfit out for someone you know with diabetes and you too can become a #type1superhero.

To find out more about the work of JDRF and world diabetes day please visit their website. https://jdrf.org.uk/world-diabetes-day-2020

 

To find out more about my story please keep an eye out for my next blog.

Written By: Victoria-Jayne Scholes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are Disabled Individuals Still Being Discriminated against in the Legal Profession?

Legally Powered at the Supreme Court When choosing a career in law I didn’t even think about my disability being an issue. However, it was something my close family and friends often questioned. I would quickly silence them with ‘it’s the legal profession, there is not going to be a problem’. How I was wrong! I started my journey by trying to decide if I wanted to be a barrister or solicitor, so I started my research into different firms and chambers and armed with my top choices for chambers, off I went to a pupillage fair. My first stop was my top choice which here will remain nameless. There I was sat in my chair. The gentleman seemed kind enough, humoured me with the ins and outs of the workings of the chamber, drew me in. This was it! I liked this chamber! I liked this man! I think they are my top choice to apply to! Then came the killer: “the only issue we have is we are a listed building so have no access as we are on the first floor, so with you being in a wheelchair I don’t

The country’s going back to 'normal' and it’s frightening.

The new 'normal' is frightening Not many things frighten me, and ask anyone and they will tell you, despite my disability I try to be as independent as possible (with a few trusted individuals by my side), so then why please tell me has this pandemic made me into a person that is too frightened to leave her front door. Too frightened for her friends to come round and sit in her living room and too frightened for her to go shopping, because for me this is not normal. It’s far from normal. I’ll be honest with you here, it is frightening the hell out of me. When the country was still 'normal' Before Covid-19 hit, I wasn’t one for sitting indoors. Now don’t get me wrong I wasn’t trekking about town from dawn to dusk doing hikes. I can’t. My disability wouldn’t allow for that unfortunately. My disability would get so overwhelming on a daily basis that I wouldn’t cope and my outlet would be, my support worker, myself and my pink power chair getting out for a small outing. W