Skip to main content

Wheelchair Users Guide to Visiting the Supreme Court

 

Supreme Court, Court Room One, Myself in Ppowerchair behind Barrister desk.

Being a law student and never having been to the Supreme Court, it was something at the top of my ‘to do’ list. Now for any wheelchair user the first step is preparation so I rang up the enquiries line at the Supreme Court to make sure I could gain access first and to see what I could and couldn’t take in. 

Upon phoning, I was greeted by a lovely cheery lady on the other end of the phone who could not have been more helpful and advised that gaining access was not a problem. Step one, tick

Some court buildings, especially when court is in session, do not allow phones or food to be taken in. Luckily, the Supreme Court do allow these things, within guides of course!  Step two, tick

So planning the day precisely, packing everything but the kitchen sink into my bag, booking my support worker for a very long day and booking the taxi to get me there, I set off on my journey. Step three, tick.

Preparation is key!

Now the next bit of information, whilst is slightly embarrassing and gross, and not something I want to share with the world, needs to be said to show just how accommodating the Supreme Court is.

One thing I did not prepare for on the day is my brand new morphine patch side effects kicking in. Half way up to the Supreme Court in the back of a taxi, with a driver who thinks he is Lewis Hamilton, my breakfast decides to make an appearance. Luckily we had bags and were prepared.

Unfortunately upon arrival one thing they do not have on London Streets and especially in Parliament Square is rubbish bins! “No worries” says my PA “when we get inside the Supreme Court we will go to the toilets and dispose of it there”. “Okay, good idea” came my reply. Now hold that thought as we arrive at the doors of the Court.

Inside the Supreme Court

We are greeted by a lovely man in a security uniform, who directed me to a door on my left. It was all old mahogany and looked like an old fashioned telephone box. Once inside and the door closed behind me, I saw I was actually inside a disabled lift. The man was controlling it and up I went. Not very far probably half the size of a person.

The door in front of me opened automatically which was amazing as so many times have doors on these lifts not opened and I am left trying to push. So far so good. Then I saw the sight in front of me. More security men with a conveyor belt and scanner. “All bags on the belt please” I looked at my PA with dread. She went and whispered quietly in the security guard’s ear and with that he produced a bin from behind the desk. She gently placed the bag inside as he waved me through.

Now for someone disabled there was no embarrassment. He did not make a scene, he did not laugh and did not tell the others. Well he might have after I left but he gave me dignity at the time and that is a rare feature. Providing dignity, step four, tick.    

Around the Courtrooms

<ap of the supremem court, a layout of court room one and a layout of the supreme court as a whole.


Supreme Court Map and Guide can be picked up and reception on arrival at the Supreme Court

Credit to the Supreme Court

 

Next stop reception. Here I was given a map of the court and told where all the disabled toilets were, where all the lifts were and how to get out in a fire. I was also given emergency numbers to call if I got in trouble and where all the emergency pull cords were in the building. I felt safe, step five, tick.

In the lift we got, okay they are not huge lifts but I got my power chair and my PA in with me and up to the top floor we went.

The first court was amazing! A security guard met us upon arrival and even moved chairs for me so I could get around. He took photos of me sat at the desks. Everything was old fashioned in dark oak and green leather. It had a real old fashioned court feel about it.

Next we went to court room two on the second floor, this court room had been modernised. Again greeted by a security guard not only did he show us around the court room and make it accessible he told us so much history pointing out little details such as the rose on the carpet.

On the lower ground floor is the café, which is fully accessible and the helpfulness of staff continued through to the café with them carrying my tray and assisting me with my order.

Also on the lower ground floor is the exhibition centre and a TV to watch ongoing court cases. Again not one area could I not access and if there was something in my way before I could blink someone was there moving it for me.  Accessibility, step six, tick.

Facilities

They had toilets that were big enough to get a wheelchair in and move around. Step seven, tick.

I did not see any disabled changing facilities on the day at the court so I phoned them to check. Whilst they have confirmed they are currently no changing facilities for the disabled, they have advised that for any individual with a specific need should contact them before attending to see what assistance can be arranged.

One thing I must say about the Supreme Court is their approachability. Upon phoning them for information there was no answer so I put the phone down. Within 30 minutes I had a call back saying they had a missed call from my number. Now that is what I call service.

Anything I ask they help with, they are friendly, and if they do not know an answer will find out and get back to you.  For more information on visiting the Supreme Court please Visit their website https://www.supremecourt.uk/visiting/index.html

The court, despite being a Grade II listed building, has been adapted greatly for the disabled. For those who have audio requirements a free audio guide is available, and should individuals require a guided tour, as well as discounted tickets, carers go free.

You will have noticed I missed a floor out – floor one. There is a reason. This is the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council Court and the day I visited, court was in session. That is a story in itself so please see my blog on access to the Privy Council.

Visual Impairments.

The Supreme Courts map and guide is available in Braille for those with visual impairments and can be offered in large print. Whilst I did not use this service myself it was both stated to me at the time and on their website.  They also have braille signs on toilet doors and offer tours designed especially for those with visual impairments.

 

Checklist for the Supreme Court:

Here is a list of things that I can think of that is a good idea to take with you on the day. (Obviously everyone’s disability is different so you will require different things but these are generalised items to help!)

  •  A smile – One thing everyone had at the Supreme Court was a smile. By the end of the day my cheeks were hurting.
  •       A camera – You are allowed to take photos anywhere inside the Supreme Court, unless it is in a court where there is a case in session or the court is prepared for a case.
  • A bag – just in case any incidents like mine occur! 
  • Snacks – Whilst watching cases you can be in for 10 minutes or if you chose 4 hours so wise to have snacks! Food and Drink is available to purchase from the Supreme Court Café. 

 

All I can say is if you are thinking of having a trip to the Supreme Court, please do, you won’t be disappointed!!

 

COMING SOON!! NEW BLOG – WHEELCHAIR USERS GUIDE TO THE JUDICIAL COMMITTEE OF THE PRIVY COUNCIL COURT!!

 

Written By: Victoria-Jayne Scholes



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Diabetes Day - From Nurse to Superhero

  Every year on the 14 th November the world turns blue in support of the millions of diabetics worldwide. This year is no different. Right now millions of superheroes get ready to don their capes from carers, to parents, to diabetic teams to friends and family and most importantly diabetics themselves. This year the theme is the ‘Nurse and Diabetes’ which celebrates the truly wonderful work millions of nurses do in support of individuals with diabetes, but I ask you this ‘What defines the definition of a nurse?’. I ask you to look at the cover photo of this story and study it for a few moments. As you do ask yourself these questions, what do these ladies have in common? Is one more qualified than the others? Ready to move on…   T o answer your question what these ladies all have in common is they all care for someone with Type One diabetes. First the Support worker who for the last two years has cared for me, a type 1 diabetic of 27 years. Every visit she reminds me to check

Why Are Disabled Individuals Still Being Discriminated against in the Legal Profession?

Legally Powered at the Supreme Court When choosing a career in law I didn’t even think about my disability being an issue. However, it was something my close family and friends often questioned. I would quickly silence them with ‘it’s the legal profession, there is not going to be a problem’. How I was wrong! I started my journey by trying to decide if I wanted to be a barrister or solicitor, so I started my research into different firms and chambers and armed with my top choices for chambers, off I went to a pupillage fair. My first stop was my top choice which here will remain nameless. There I was sat in my chair. The gentleman seemed kind enough, humoured me with the ins and outs of the workings of the chamber, drew me in. This was it! I liked this chamber! I liked this man! I think they are my top choice to apply to! Then came the killer: “the only issue we have is we are a listed building so have no access as we are on the first floor, so with you being in a wheelchair I don’t

The country’s going back to 'normal' and it’s frightening.

The new 'normal' is frightening Not many things frighten me, and ask anyone and they will tell you, despite my disability I try to be as independent as possible (with a few trusted individuals by my side), so then why please tell me has this pandemic made me into a person that is too frightened to leave her front door. Too frightened for her friends to come round and sit in her living room and too frightened for her to go shopping, because for me this is not normal. It’s far from normal. I’ll be honest with you here, it is frightening the hell out of me. When the country was still 'normal' Before Covid-19 hit, I wasn’t one for sitting indoors. Now don’t get me wrong I wasn’t trekking about town from dawn to dusk doing hikes. I can’t. My disability wouldn’t allow for that unfortunately. My disability would get so overwhelming on a daily basis that I wouldn’t cope and my outlet would be, my support worker, myself and my pink power chair getting out for a small outing. W