Skip to main content

The country’s going back to 'normal' and it’s frightening.


The country's going back to normal and it's frightening
The new 'normal' is frightening


Not many things frighten me, and ask anyone and they will tell you, despite my disability I try to be as independent as possible (with a few trusted individuals by my side), so then why please tell me has this pandemic made me into a person that is too frightened to leave her front door. Too frightened for her friends to come round and sit in her living room and too frightened for her to go shopping, because for me this is not normal. It’s far from normal. I’ll be honest with you here, it is frightening the hell out of me.


When the country was still 'normal'

Before Covid-19 hit, I wasn’t one for sitting indoors. Now don’t get me wrong I wasn’t trekking about town from dawn to dusk doing hikes. I can’t. My disability wouldn’t allow for that unfortunately. My disability would get so overwhelming on a daily basis that I wouldn’t cope and my outlet would be, my support worker, myself and my pink power chair getting out for a small outing. Whether this be a trip to Dunelm to look around or Tesco to buy dinner for that night nothing major but it would be enough for my brain to calm down from whatever storm it was concocting that day.

However the day the government announced lockdown, I felt my life disappear before me. That might sound dramatic to you but those little outings were my life-line. The thought of staring at the wall 24/7 was enough to send me into ‘meltdown’ and I will admit, I did send a few texts when I was told to shield by the NHS. The texts were along the line of ‘call me vulnerable one more time, I will show you what vulnerable is’. However think more ladette than lady when reading that sentence in your head. Looking back I shouldn’t but that was my way of coping in the beginning.


Covid has affected my mental health and it's frightening

Since the beginning of lockdown I have adjusted to being in the house. However the effect on my mental health has been affected greatly. I started to watch the daily updates watching the numbers go up and down and up again.  The thought of leaving the house with the numbers that high filled me with dread. My support worker helped me greatly, collecting prescriptions, getting any food shopping that did not come with the weekly delivery, and anything else that required going out.

As the government started to ease lockdown a feeling of dread came over me. Whilst the government told the vulnerable to carry on shielding, people around me started to do normal things. I think that made it worse. Until now many of my friends had been in the same situation as me. For the first time ever I actually felt normal as we were doing things together over zoom and I wasn’t left out because they were holding the event at a location that was inaccessible to me. Instead we hosted littleV’s isolation Eurovision Song Contest and it was the best feeling in the world, but as the world started to get back to normal and could see loved ones again I was once again left out. The one sat in the cold watching everyone get on with their lives.


The country's going back to normal and it's frightening
The struggle to return to normal. 


The country's going back to 'normal'

The struggle within me this time was that I didn’t want to do what they were doing. I didn’t want to go to the shops. I didn’t want to go to the pub or restaurant. I was too scared and frightened. The virus, whilst dropping in numbers, is still out there and the human race is not always aware of their actions and how it affects others. Even now as new carers come into the house we have to tell them to put facemasks on. They don’t see how dangerous it can be, as it does not affect them. Until people who do not have disabilities and health conditions are out and about doing normal daily activates for a few months and there is no rise in numbers, will I feel safe, but to others, I am the one with the problem. I am the one wrong in the head as I will not allow them to come sit in my house, but they are not the one who is at risk here. So why do I feel the one in the wrong?

The world around me is now returning to normal, and that is more frightening than Covid itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Diabetes Day - From Nurse to Superhero

  Every year on the 14 th November the world turns blue in support of the millions of diabetics worldwide. This year is no different. Right now millions of superheroes get ready to don their capes from carers, to parents, to diabetic teams to friends and family and most importantly diabetics themselves. This year the theme is the ‘Nurse and Diabetes’ which celebrates the truly wonderful work millions of nurses do in support of individuals with diabetes, but I ask you this ‘What defines the definition of a nurse?’. I ask you to look at the cover photo of this story and study it for a few moments. As you do ask yourself these questions, what do these ladies have in common? Is one more qualified than the others? Ready to move on…   T o answer your question what these ladies all have in common is they all care for someone with Type One diabetes. First the Support worker who for the last two years has cared for me, a type 1 diabetic of 27 years. Every visit she reminds me to check

Why Are Disabled Individuals Still Being Discriminated against in the Legal Profession?

Legally Powered at the Supreme Court When choosing a career in law I didn’t even think about my disability being an issue. However, it was something my close family and friends often questioned. I would quickly silence them with ‘it’s the legal profession, there is not going to be a problem’. How I was wrong! I started my journey by trying to decide if I wanted to be a barrister or solicitor, so I started my research into different firms and chambers and armed with my top choices for chambers, off I went to a pupillage fair. My first stop was my top choice which here will remain nameless. There I was sat in my chair. The gentleman seemed kind enough, humoured me with the ins and outs of the workings of the chamber, drew me in. This was it! I liked this chamber! I liked this man! I think they are my top choice to apply to! Then came the killer: “the only issue we have is we are a listed building so have no access as we are on the first floor, so with you being in a wheelchair I don’t

Bar Standards Board ‘Failing’ Disabled Students

Students sitting this year’s bar exams are alleging they are being discriminated against as reasonable adjustments and basic rights are not being met.  Due to the Covid pandemic, the exams for aspiring barristers, which were due to be sat in April, are now due to be held throughout August. This leaves many with concerns who are due to start pupillage in September. Many students are sitting their exams at home via ‘remote proctoring’.  This means sitting in front of a computer for three hours, sometimes more, at a time without moving. Moving away from the situated camera would render the exam a failure.  Students who have already sat their at home exams are already complaining that they had an hours wait before the exam commenced. For those who would be unable to sit their exam at home for various reasons, they will need to sit their exams at a test centre or defer until December. This means some students would be unable to commence pupillages or employment as planned. Visas have also s